Monday, February 20, 2012

Tomato soup with clams and couscous

I believe I've asked if anyone goes through food phases before... hmm. Maybe. I can't remember.
But anyway. I do. Majorly. Like I'll eat at least 2 apples a day for a month, or have cream cheese and tomato on rye sandwiches every day for a week straight (SO good!), often more than a week straight. That's also what I do with this soup. I made it about six times in a week. Not even kidding. I think one day I ate it for lunch and dinner. I'm a little obsessed. Maybe my body is lacking something that tomatoes have? I have no clue, but I have been craving tomatoes constantly lately. Thank goodness it's so warm here and they come in season early. I'm gonna  be eating nothing but tomatoes. And peaches. And that's all, all summer. Not even kidding.
But anyway! Back to this soup. It's kind of like a twist on pasta and sauce. It's so crazy good, cheap, and easy! Yum yum yum. It takes like, two seconds. I don't usually add spices spices other than salt and pepper, because I like the more simple taste of it, but it would definitely be good with other spices, too. It's a major comfort food. And it's pretty healthy and so filling, bonus!
Also, sorry for the lack of posts. What with school and work and everything it's been hard to find time to update!

Tomato soup with clams and couscous
Makes one very large serving
by me

one 14.5 (or close to that) oz can of tomatoes (can be diced, whole, doesn't really matter)
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup of couscous
1/2 of a small onion, diced
one small can of clams, drained
2 teaspoons garlic, minced
olive oil for the pan

Pour the can of tomatoes in a medium sized pot and use an immersion blender to puree the tomatoes until it's smooth and there aren't many big chunks of tomato.* Stir in balsamic vinegar and a pinch of salt and pepper. Put on stove turned to medium low.
In a small pot, cook couscous according to box directions, set aside.**
In a medium sized pan, warm olive oil, add in onions, garlic, and clams. Saute on medium heat for about 5-7 minutes, until clams are cooked and onions are slightly opaque.
Stir the couscous, clams, garlic, and onion into the tomatoes and let simmer on low for just a few minutes. Serve with Parmesan cheese.

Notes:
* You also could use a food processor or blender of course, but I have an immersion blender that I LOVE and is so easy.

** I usually just cook the couscous in tomato sauce and it absorbers some of the tomato liquid and makes everything nice and thick, but it will take longer than it would in water.

3 comments:

  1. Ryan! What a beautiful soup! I could eat this as just a tomato soup (I LOVE the addition of balsamic vinegar!). But adding the clams and couscous is such a crazy good twist! I'm like you. I get a food in my head (this month it was oranges!)...and there it stays until I literally feel sick of them! I can't wait to try this scrumptious looking soup! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never added couscous to tomato soup but it looks quite intriguing. Will have to give this a try soon! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your mom bought you that bourbon. :)

    This soup looks great. I like the sound of that sandwich, too. I haven't had rye bread in a long time.

    ReplyDelete