Monday, January 9, 2012

Giant Malted Oreos




When I bake, I like to plan what I'm going to bake way before I actually bake it. I'm not sure why I do this, because I change my mind about 50 times before I come to a final decision. I'll be all set to bake whatever I decided on, and then change my mind to something completely different. So it's pretty pointless to attempt to plan anything to bake, but I do it anyway. Sometimes planning is most of the fun.
I've wanted to make this recipe for a while and I'm SO glad I finally got around to it. It's totally delicious and not at all hard. It did take me a while to make because I'm ridiculously slow the first time I try a recipe, but for most people this shouldn't take long at all :P
School starts tomorrow for me so posting may slow down a bit, but I am definitely planning to still update at least once a week, preferably two to three times a week, depending on how much I actually bake.

Well, as I have about a million things to do to get ready for school before I go into work, this is a short post. Hope you enjoy the recipe!

Giant Malted Oreos
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen
Not sure how many this makes, as a lot got eaten before I could count but I doubled her recipe and (accidentally) made my cookies bigger than actual oreos so I'd say about 40 sandwich cookies. Definitely half this if you won't eat them all, but I plan to give some away if I actually have any left.
Also, if you want bigger cookies, use two teaspoons worth of dough. Make sure you give a bit of room between them on the baking sheet, they spread.

Cookies:
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup malted milk powder
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup light brown sugar
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 1/4 cups butter (2 1/2 sticks)
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 375 and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, malt, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Add in butter and eggs and beat on low speed. You may have to use your hands to get this dough to come together.
Drop rounded teaspoonfuls (that's a word now, if it wasn't before) onto baking sheets and press down slightly, bake about 8-9 minutes. Let cool on baking sheets for about 5 minutes before transferring to wire racks.

Filling:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
4 cups powdered sugar
1 Tbs vanilla extract
one vanilla bean, scraped

Beat together butter and shortening until smooth, then add in sugar and beat until creamy. Beat in vanilla and vanilla bean until fully incorporated.

Using a pastry bag or a freezer bag with the corner snipped off, fill cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment