Friday, January 13, 2012

Meyer Lemon Curd

Do you ever have specific words that gross you out? I never notice words that I don't like unless one of my sister's or my mother point out words that gross them out. Apparently, a gross word is "curd". You'd think that being 17, my sister would at least try it. Nope! She will have none of it, and neither will my boyfriend. Seventeen and nineteen years old and they refuse to try something because the name is gross... people are strange sometimes :P
But! Don't let the fact that this is called curd get to you. It's totally fabulous and delicious and SO easy to make. Super easy. I have to find more things to do with it, I swirled it into a cake (recipe to come!) and it was glorious. Going to put it on some pancakes later... yuuuum...

Meyer Lemon Curd
FromConfections of a Foodie Bride
1/2 cup Meyer lemon juice (about 4-5 lemons)
1 Tbsp lemon zest
2 eggs
1/3 cup sugar
1 stick butter, cut into 4 pieces

Whisk together lemon juice, zest, sugar, and eggs in a bowl placed over a simmering pot of water. Whisk until warm and then add in butter one piece at a time until melted. Whisk constantly until thickened and smooth, will be about 165 degrees on a candy thermometer.
Pour through a strainer. Use or store in fridge with plastic wrap over the top of the curd (this prevents it from getting a "skin" like puddings do).

3 comments:

  1. lol YES! i actually wrote an entire post about it: http://www.whatkatiesbaking.com/2010/08/facing-my-fear-chunky-apple-cake.html
    curd is kind of a gross word, but this looks really good so i'm pretty sure i can get past it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan...I LOVE lemon curd. We should think of a new name for it because I think it gets a bad rap! There are so many uses for it...but all I need is a spoon! Yours looks luscious! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know... I can't get past the curd name either.... But it was good, I have to say..

    ReplyDelete