Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Bagels and brownies

Today I made bagels, and brownies.
I did make some changes to the brownies, and I'll post the revised recipe below. The bagels were exactly the same as always, but I ended up letting them rise the first time around for 2 1/2 hours instead of 1, because I was out and couldn't get home as fast as I thought I could. I also made the bagels smaller, so I had smaller bagels but twice as many. They really weren't all that small, though. If you were having just the bagel and some cream cheese they'd be a good snack, but not a meal. But they were big enough to use to make a sandwich, so that was good.

I would use better quality chocolate chips for the brownies. I used Ghirardelli chocolate chips. I kind of prefer store brand milk chocolate chips (well, Publix brand, I don't know about any other brands), but Ghirardelli is SO much better than other white chocolate. My sister and I both compared Nestle white chocolate chips to Ghirardelli white chocolate chips and the Ghirardelli was about a thousand times better.
Also, I didn't use a mixer for any of this, just a wooden spoon. Mine were a bit undercooked, they didn't stay together when I took them out of the pan, but I think part of that is that I had sooo many chocolate chips in them, and I cooked them for only about 24 minutes because I prefer them undercooked.
I appologize for my terrible brownie pictures, I was rushing because Jumper was about to come on TV and we don't have the fancy pause regular TV thing :P


Here is the link for the bagel recipe. I would definitely suggest making them, they're so easy and SO worth it!




Triple Chocolate Brownies
Makes an 8x8 pan
Adapted from Allrecipes.com

1/2 cup butter, room temp
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 cup malt powder
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup white chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350.
In a small bowl combine baking powder, salt, flour, and malt. Set aside.
Cream together butter and sugar until well combined. Add in eggs 1 at a time until completely incorporated, then stir in vanilla. Mix in cocoa powder until fully incorporated. Slowly add in flour mixture, then add in chocolate chips.
Pour into a greased 8x8 pan and bake about 26-29 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment