Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Coffee cake muffins

Yum :)
Delicious
Just after going into the oven


I decided that I needed to bake something today, but I wasn't sure what. I ended up making coffee cake muffins. I started with this recipe, but changed it a lot.

This is what I ended up with:

4 cups cake flour (or use this
1-1/2 cups white sugar
1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter
2 egg
1 cup of milk
1 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 tsp lemon extract
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp all spice

For the crumbles:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1-1/3 cups brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp lemon extract

Directions:
Make crumbles first. Melt butter, and stir all ingredients together. Add more flour if needed to form crumbles. I'm not exactly sure how much it will take, I don't usually measure the flour or sugar, just add it until it's right. Once it forms crumbles, set aside.
Sift together sugar, salt, spices, flour, and baking powder. Cut butter into chunks and crumbled into the flour with your fingers until it's mostly combined, then beat with a mixer until no large chunks remain and it's sort of like wet sand. Wisk together milk, extracts, and eggs. Mix sour cream into milk mixture and then slowly stir into flour mixture. I started using the mixer but a spoon worked better.
Mix until combined and then spoon into muffin tins lined with muffin papers. Only fill about a quarter of the way full, and then put about 2 tbs of crumbles in, and fill the rest of the way up. You can put crumbles on top, or you can just put them in the middle.
Bake at 350 for 16-20 minutes.**

Notes:
Ok so I added about 1/2 cup less sugar because I ran out and figured it'd be sweet enough. They were pretty good, but I think they would have been better with the other 1/2 cup. Also, I had an extra 1/2 cup of sour cream in there. I added that first and then got worried that the batter looked so thick so I added a cup of milk. They're still good but I think they're a little too moist. I'm eating one now though after they've cooled down and they're pretty freaking good, I have to say :P I almost didn't add the lemon extract, I just did because I was watching a show on the Cooking Channel and they had a woman who made amazing coffee cake with lemon extract and it inspired me :P

Also, the Daring Baker's challenge was announced today... obviously I can't say what it is, but it's totally different from anything I've made before and I'm nervous but excited! :) pictures will be posted on the 27th of this month.

1 comment:

  1. Oooo I can't wait to try making these!!! I could live on coffee cake. :D

    ReplyDelete