Saturday, November 20, 2010

Yellow Cake with Whipped Frosting



Yesterday I decided that it was imperative that I made cake. I'm not sure why, but it was. I decided to make this cake from bakingbites.com. I didn't use the frosting recipe that comes with the cake recipe because my little sister isn't a huge fan of chocolate. How anyone can dislike chocolate is beyond me, but that's beside the point. I ended up making the first white frosting that I found on the All Recipes website. It was pretty decent, although very sweet. Most of my family liked it with the exception of my mother, but she isn't a big fan of dessert-type food anyway. I loved it. The frosting wasn't as aesthetically pleasing today, but it tasted the same as yesterday and it wasn't particularly pretty yesterday anyway. That has more to do with my poor frosting skills than the frosting itself :P
Next time I would definitely use a chocolate frosting. The cake itself is AWESOME. My favorite cake ever is yellow cake with chocolate frosting and I will definitely be making that combination soon with this recipe. Definitely my new go-to yellow cake recipe.
In case anyone wants it, this is the white frosting recipe.
I didn't have cake flour or buttermilk so I substituted about 1 tbs lemon juice in regular milk, and I didn't have any cake flour so I just used this instead. I sifted that flour probably 10 times.
Also, with the butter, I didn't beat it right away, I crumbled it in with my fingers first.
I have a convection oven and my cake cooked in about 33minutes at 350. Definitely check it early. I made this into two layers, but I think next time I'd double the recipe and make it 4 layer.

I apologize for my poor picture taking skills... I'm hoping they will progress over time, haha.

I also went to World Market (which is an AMAZING store), and got some spices. I got nutmeg (just because I needed it and knew I'd forget otherwise), candied ginger root, and lavender. No idea what I'll do with them yet, but I am going to be looking for recipes :) Very excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment